TOP 5 MEDICINE BALLS
No of Reviews
% of 5-Star
% of 1-Star
|AmazonBasics Medicine Ball||$31.50||1,035||84%||3%||9.6|
|TRX Training Slam Ball, Easy- Grip Tread & Durable Rubber Shell||$37.95||184||83%||3%||9.6|
|Titan Soft Wall Ball Medicine||$30.99||181||73%||7%||9.4|
|J/fit Soft Wall Ball Medicine Ball||$50.53||393||70%||10%||9.3|
|J/fit Dead Weight Slam Ball||$36.57||254||66%||9%||9.2|
When you hear the term "medicine ball", do you think hospital or gym?
The history of the medicine ball can be traced back to thousands of years ago. Ancient Greek scholar Hippocrates, who is widely regarded as the father of medicine, stuffed animal skins to create weighted balls for his patients to toss for medicinal purposes. Hippocrates used medicine balls to help his patients recover from injuries and they are still widely used as an effective exercise tool.
Today, unlike in the times of Hippocrates, medicine balls are made of rubber or synthetic leather shells. They improve muscle coordination and stability. While lifting free weights helps to build strength, it doesn’t necessarily develop explosiveness needed by athletes to perform at high levels. Because medicine balls can be thrown, they build explosiveness and the ability to absorb and redirect force—all of which are crucial to athletes.
Medicine balls allow for natural rotational motions that can help define your midsection as well as prevent injury to the lower back.The beauty of medicine balls lies in their versatility. They can be used for throws, twists, slams, swings, and many other activities. If you have a home gym, or you’re thinking of investing in some home exercise equipment, a medicine ball should be in your inventory.
Medicine ball workouts intensely utilize all your major muscle groups as well as providing a very dynamic and enjoyable workout session that can be done alone or with a partner. A medicine ball is perfect for simple workouts that require no real technical expertise. This article will help you choose the best one for you.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A MEDICINE BALL
- Durability: Purchase a medicine ball that will last and give you value for money. You don't want to buy a new one every week
- Material: Medicine balls are made of different materials, tailored to the activity for which they will be used. Most of them are made from high quality rubber, while some are made of synthetic leather materials. Not all are made for explosive slamming, so that is something to consider before you purchase
- Size and Weight: They come in a variety of weights and sizes. You may start with a smaller size and increase as you gain more strength and muscular endurance.
1) Amazon Basics Medicine Ball
This medicine ball is designed with sturdy rubber and can bounce off hard surfaces, allowing for throwing to the floor or bouncing against a wall. Even more, the ball comes with a textured finish, which helps ensure a safe, secure grip-whether holding it with bare hands or weight-training gloves. Weights range from 4-20 lbs.
- Sturdy rubber construction bounces perfectly off hard surfaces
- Superior grip textured finish for stable and secure hold
- Can be held easily with training gloves
- Has a "rubbery smell"
- Some customers have complained that it cracked after use as a slam ball
2) TRX Training Slam Ball, Easy- Grip Tread & Durable Rubber Shell
This medicine ball has a rugged, textured surface that provides easy gripping and helps you keep a sure handle on the ball during your workout. It also features a thick, ultra-durable rubber shell that absorbs impact
- It is designed to be used as a slam ball
- It comes with an excellent tire thread texture
- Available in a variety of weights from 6-50 lbs
- The filler material does not always stay in the center of the ball during use
- It does not bounce
3) Titan Soft Wall Ball
This is a soft medicine ball that is made of synthetic Leather outside and cotton inside. It has a tight, thick double stitching that keeps it closed and has a loop in either side of the stitching for easy storage or gripping for exercise. Comes in 6-20lb weights.
- Comes with double stitched seams
- Great for wall ball work and far throws
- Has synthetic leather exterior
- Not suitable for Slam exercise
- Changes shape with every slam
4) J/fit Soft Wall Ball Medicine Ball
This medicine ball is made by using a special combination of cotton, recycled cotton, sand and rubber in the inner core, to ensures that the ball keeps its shape and remains balanced and durable. It has a soft outer core that absorbs impact and allows for more explosive solo or partner training.
- Keeps its shape well
- All weights are the same size from 6-30lbs
- Triple stitched shell
- Can't be used for rebounding
- With too much pressure, stuffing comes out
5) J/fit Dead Weight Slam Ball
This is a medicine ball that is made for explosive slam exercises, tossing, throwing and catching. It is lightly textured on the outer shell for easy catching and sand filled so weight will shift for more overall muscle workout. It also comes in different sizes.
- Easy to catch and pick up
- Good for heavy-duty slamming
- Has been improved 10 times
- Some customers have complained that it popped
- Only one side is used for slamming